American Express Essential Credit Card
Introductory offer: $50 Credit PLUS 0% p.a. Balance Transfer for 12 months
Offer Conditions: Receive a $50 credit when you apply online, are approved and spend $750 on your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders. A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies.
The American Express Essential® Credit Card comes packed with a range of benefits:
- $0 annual fee - No fee credit card with rewards, and low interest rate and a 0% balance transfer offer.
- Receive a $50 credit - when you apply online, are approved and spend $750 on your new card within the first 3 months of Card Membership
- Membership Rewards - Earn up to 1 Membership Rewards point for every $1 spent
- Frequent Flyer Friendly - Transfer your points to a choice of 8 airline rewards partner programs
- Smartphone Screen Insurance for up to $500 - when you pay for your phone or contract with your Essential Credit Card
- Low Minimum Income for eligibilty - At just $40,000 p.a.
- Balance Transfer Deal - 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months, you can transfer up to 70% of your approved credit limit to a maximum of $10,000. This offer is for new applicants only and a one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies.
- Enjoy a low interest rate - of 14.99% p.a. on purchases
- Emergency Card replacement - if your card is lost or stolen
- Eligible for use with Android Pay, Apple Pay and Samsung Pay
With the Essential® Credit Card you’ll receive complimentary enrolment into the Membership Rewards Gateway program
- Earn 1 Membership Rewards point per dollar spent on all purchases except utilities, insurance, telecommunications providers and government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 points per dollar spent.
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 airline rewards partner programs including Singapore Krisflyer Miles, Virgin Velocity Points and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles, or redeem online for a gift card from one the leading retail partners.
- Unlike the standard Membership Rewards Ascent program, Membership Rewards Gateway points can be converted on a 4:3 basis to Virgin Australia Velocity, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest, Malaysia Airlines Enrich, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer and Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus. That means you’d effectively earn 0.75 frequent flyer points or miles per dollar spent on everyday transactions or 0.375 points with utility and ATO Payments.
- Use your points to pay charges on your statement with Select + Pay with points.
- Spend more and earn more points by getting a Supplementary Card for family members at no additional cost.
When you pay for purchases using your American Express Essential® Credit Card you can enjoy cover with the following protection;
- Purchase Protection - if an item is stolen or breaks within 90 days of purchase, it can be repaired or refunded up to $2,500 per claim, up to $10,000 per year and with a $50 excess per claim
- Buyer’s Advantage - extends the manufacturer’s warranty by up to 12 months for up to $7,000 per claim and $7,000 per year, with no excess
- Refund Protection - if you have a change of heart and are refused a refund on an unused item within 90 days of purchase, you will be reimbursed for up to $500 per claim and $2,000 per year, with no excess
- Online Fraud Protection - guarantees you against unauthorised charges. If you see something unusual on your statement, let AMEX know immediately and you won’t be held responsible
Smartphone Screen Insurance with your Essential® Credit Card
The inclusion of insurance for your smartphone screen as a benefit from owning a credit card is a unique to the American Express Essential® Credit Card. Many of us have suffered the inconvenience and expense of cracking our smartphone screens, American Express have recognised this common event and sought to provide a solutuion to card holders with the inclusion of Smartphone Screen Insurance as a benefit of holding the new Essential® Credit Card.
How does the smartphone insurance work?
When you use your Essential® Credit Card to pay for your smartphone (outright or on contract) and accidentally crack your phone screen, you’ll be covered for up to $500 worth of smartphone screen repairs. Essential Cardholders can take advantage of this complimentary insurance up to two times in a 12-month period. Keep in mind that there is an excess of 10% per claim.
For full details of the Smartphone Screen Insurance read the terms and conditions to understand what you’re eligible for and how you can make the most of the insurance.
|Card Provider||American Express|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Instant Approval||Yes, within 60 seconds|
|Age To Apply||18|
|Temporary Residents||Yes, with a 457 Visa.|
|Min. Credit Limit||-|
|Purchase Rate||14.99% p.a.|
|Cash Advance Rate||-|
|Balance Transfer Rate||0.00% p.a.|
|Balance Transfer Rate||0.00% p.a.|
|Balance Transfer Period||12 months|
|Balance Transfer Fee||1.00%|
|Introductory Offer||Receive a $50 credit on your new card (online applications only) PLUS 0% p.a. on Balance Transfers for 12 months, a one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies.|
|Offer End Date||-|
|Rewards Program||Membership Rewards Gateway Program|
|Rewards Points||Earn 1 Membership Rewards point per dollar spent on all purchases except utilities, insurance, telecommunications providers and government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 points per dollar spent|
|Fees and Terms|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 55 days|
|Min. Monthly Repayment||$30|
|Balance Transfer Fee||1.00%|
|Over Limit Fee||-|
|Duplicate Statement Fee||-|
|Interest Charged From||Purchase date|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Min. Repayment %||2.5|
|Max. Credit Limit||$25,000|
|Cash Advance Fee||-|
|Additional Card Holder Fee||$0.00|
|Travel and Insurance|
|Foreign Currency Conversion fee||3% of transaction value|
|Overseas ATM withdrawal fee||-|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
Terms and Conditions: Read the Terms and Conditions for The American Express Essential Credit Card
Balance Transfer: Offer not available for Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product offered by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 60 day period. Balances may not be transferred from another Credit Card issued by American Express Australia Limited. The promotional balance transfer rate will be eligible for 12 months from the date the Card is approved, after which any remaining balance will revert to the standard rate of interest at that time. The credit plan establishment fee attracts the standard rate of interest. Interest free days do not apply to Balance Transfer balances, and you may be charged interest on other purchases and fees if you do not pay your Closing Balance (including any outstanding balance transfers), in full by the due date each month. We reserve the right to withdraw this offer if your account is not in good standing or we become aware of any adverse credit information
What happens when I click "Go to site"?
A: You commence a secure application process as follows:
- Clicking Go to site will direct you to the providers web site
- Complete the online application on the providers web site
- Once approved, the Provider will issue your new credit card, this takes around 1-2 weeks.